Beverages for Braces and Invisalign
Adjusting to braces or Invisalign can be a difficult process especially when it comes to knowing what foods and drinks are on your “safe” list. Certain beverages can cause tooth decay, staining or warping of your braces and Invisalign. Choosing wisely becomes crucial and will not only affect your braces, but your overall health as well. Dr. McSurdy and Dr. Pavlow have years of training and education in the field of Orthodontics. Together, they have helped over 20,000 patients find their best smiles! At our clinic, we are committed to giving you all the tools necessary to have a successful orthodontic experience.
Beverage Recommendations for Invisalign Patients
While Invisalign is a much more flexible and convenient orthodontic procedure, it can present specific issues when eating and drinking. Because aligners are worn for 22 hours a day, you can’t possibly remove your customized aligner each time you need to drink. Here are some guidelines that will make choosing your beverages a bit easier:
- Hot beverages, like coffee and tea, can warp your customized aligners. Because each aligner is the product of a 3D generated model specific to your teeth, if they don’t fit securely, you won’t achieve your prescribed or desired correction.
- Coffee, tea, red wine and soda can also stain your clear aligners. This defeats the purpose, and arguably the #1 feature, for choosing the Invisalign system, which is the almost undetectable aligners.
- If you choose to drink the above beverages, simply remove the aligners before drinking and immediately replace them after rinsing.
- Drinking iced drinks with a straw can reduce staining.
Beverage Recommendations for Traditional Braces
Traditional metal braces can’t be removed for eating and drinking like Invisalign aligners. This lends itself to a bit more restriction when choosing beverages. Here are the key things to keep in mind when choosing your beverages:
- Sugared beverages can cause plaque buildup in and around your brackets causing decay and cavities. After drinking sugary beverages, rinse your mouth with mouthwash to prevent build up.
- Dark colored beverages, like coffee and tea, can cause staining of the brackets and bands of traditional braces. They can also cause staining of your teeth.
- Drinking iced drinks from a straw can reduce staining risks.
Although redundant, water will always be the safest and easiest beverage to drink with braces and Invisalign. Water is essential for optimal health and doesn’t present a staining or cavity risk. Remember all the hard work and expense you are putting into your orthodontic health, don’t risk that by choosing damaging beverages.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Your smile will be with you for the rest of your life, take care of it by choosing the best. The best food and beverages, and the best orthodontic care. Our Orthodontists and staff are committed to our patients and their complete satisfaction. We utilize only the latest technology in our state-of-the-art offices. Whether you’re looking for yourself or a family member, we have solutions to fit every need. Call today to schedule your complimentary consultation at 610-489-6032 or view our schedule here **!