Foods to Eat with Braces and Invisalign
When you’re new to the braces or Invisalign game, it can be difficult to decide what foods to avoid and which would be helpful. Changing some eating habits will be inevitable. There are foods that can damage braces and hurt sensitive gums, however, there are foods that can strengthen and support the health of teeth and gums. At the Smile Specialists, we are committed to giving you the tools necessary to have a successful orthodontic experience. Let’s discuss some of these foods.
Foods to Avoid with Braces
The first few weeks with your braces can be a little tricky in the eating department. Foods you had no problems eating before can now cause pain and damage to your new braces. Here are some suggestions of foods to avoid:
- Raw Foods Like Veggies: These aren’t totally off limits. If you decide to eat raw veggies, like carrots, cut them into smaller, more manageable pieces that are easily chewed with back teeth.
- Corn on the Cob: When chewing corn off the cob, it can get stuck in the wires of braces and can even cause wires to break or come loose. Cutting it off the cob can be a simple solution.
- Hard or Chewy Bread: Cut breads like french bread or bagels into smaller pieces that don’t require your teeth to tear apart.
- Pizza Crust
- Apples: Again, biting apples off the core can cause broken wires. Cut apples into smaller, bite sized pieces.
- Burgers or Sub Sandwiches
Foods That Support Healthy Teeth
Maintaining a healthy, nutritious diet will support healthy teeth and gums while promoting overall good health. Healthier teeth will remain cavity free and stronger. Here are the foods that promote good oral health:
- Dairy- Yogurt, pudding or soft cheeses
- Steamed Veggies
- Soft Fruits- melons, grapes, oranges or kiwi
- Non-tough Meats- lunch meats, meatballs or chicken
- Seafood- tuna, salmon or fish without bones
- Light Crackers or Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Noodle Dishes
- Soft Breads or Tortillas
One of the huge benefits of using the Invisalign system to straighten your teeth is the fact that there are no diet restrictions. With clear, removable aligners, eating with Invisalign becomes simple and straightforward.
Call to Schedule Your Free Smile Consultation!
Don’t wait to begin your journey to beautiful, straight teeth. At the Smile Specialists, we combine high quality services with cutting edge technology to give you unparalleled care. As a top %1 Invisalign provider, we are comfortable treating a wide variety of dental cases using Invisalign. We want you to be happy with your care and leave us with a world-class smile on your face. Call us today to schedule your free smile consultation at 610-489-6032 or view our schedule here **!