Taking Care of Braces and Invisalign
As you’ve probably learned, life changes when you have braces or Invisalign. Caring for your teeth becomes a more ever present concern. With both traditional braces and Invisalign, a comprehensive oral hygiene routine is crucial for healthy teeth and gums, as well as a positive orthodontic outcome. Dr. McSurdy and Dr. Pavlow are committed to giving our patients the tools for good oral health. Your smile will be with you for the rest of your life, let’s learn how to take care of it.
Invisalign Daily Care
This is likely the most popular and flexible product on the market today. It involves making a custom cast from a 3D image of your teeth. Through a series of clear, removable aligners, teeth are gently moved into alignment. Although removable, these aligners do require a precise cleaning regimen:
- Rinse your aligners when you remove them. Smelly bacteria and plaque tend to grow beneath aligners.
- Soak your aligners. Using the Invisalign cleaning crystals to soak your aligners will help keep them clean, sanitized and clear.
- Brush and floss teeth after removing aligner. This will help keep your teeth plaque and cavity free.
- Clean your aligners with anti-bacterial soft soap.
- GENTLY brush your aligners. Vigorous brushing can cause scratches where bacteria can grow.
Traditional Braces Daily Care
Traditional metal braces tend to be a bit more difficult to keep clean. With hundreds of nooks and crannies, there are plenty of places food and bacteria can hide. Careful and consistent oral hygiene is critical to maintaining healthy, beautiful teeth:
- Prepare: Take off any bands or removable pieces of your appliance.
- Clean Braces and Teeth: Holding your brush at a 45 degree angle, brush around wires and pins of your braces. Brush from the top of each wire down to the bottom. Carefully work your way around upper and lower teeth, careful to remove all plaque and debris.
- Floss 1 X Daily: Our dedicated staff will show you the best method for flossing your teeth. Using products specifically designed for braces will give you the best flossing capabilities.
- Rinse and Check Your Teeth: Rinse your teeth and check your braces and teeth. Inspect for any damaged or broken wires or brackets.
- Check Ups: Don’t neglect your bi-annual dental checkups and scheduled orthodontic care appointments.
Schedule Your Appointment Today!
Caring your your braces or Invisalign system doesn’t have to be difficult. At the Smile Specialists, we strive to provide our patients with the tools and skills to have a positive orthodontic experience. We combine high quality orthodontic services with cutting edge technology to give you unparalleled care. As a top %1 Invisalign provider, we are comfortable treating a wide variety of dental cases using Invisalign. We want you to be happy with your care and leave us with a world-class smile on your face. Call us today to schedule your free smile consultation at 610-489-6032 or view our schedule here **!